Saturday, January 20, 2018
Last updated: 2 years ago

Sauder graduate creates restaurant phone app

Tangoo is a mobile app that helps you choose a restaurant based on your mood for the night. File photo Kai Jacobson/The Ubyssey

Feel like browsing some restaurants based on your food craving at the time? Ask Tangoo.

Founded by Sauder graduate Paul Davidescu, Tangoo is a phone app that gives you restaurant recommendations based on your mood or the type of event that you’re planning.

Along with fellow UBC students Jonathan Hill and Tristan Slade, Davidescu came up with the app in the hope of being able to take away the stress of planning social outings. Currently, Tangoo is free to download and includes over 300 restaurants in Vancouver and Whistler.

According to Davidescu, Tangoo stands out from all the other restaurant apps that are already out there with its simplicity and social factor. Food apps often involve more steps and often provide generalized lists, while the restaurants Tangoo generates are based on two personal factors.

“It is the simplest thing ever,” said Davidescu. “There is a reason we call it the pocket concierge.”

The Tangoo team is made up of former students and friends that created and work on the app because they want the same thing as the user — fun, unforgettable social experiences.

Davidescu said that the idea for Tangoo came many years ago when he went on exchange through UBC to Barcelona, albeit it was a very different idea at the time. After working to create an event planning business for one of his projects, he was inspired to do something similar with a restaurant app.

“There’s always a problem with people not knowing where to go and people not being able to connect,” said Davidescu.

Davidescu wanted to create something that would make it easier to recreate similar social experiences. He also plans to expand Tangoo to include restaurants in Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Calgary and other Canadian cities. Currently, cafes and bars are being added to the vast restaurant list and there are goals to expand in the US by 2015.

In the words of Davidescu, the app’s mission is to “make the city a little bit more fun and connected” and help people have the social experiences they desire.