The Centennial Harvest Feast was a success, apart from reports of food poisoning.
At least 20 to 30 students have said they’ve had a variety of symptoms from stomach illness to diarrhoea in the last 12 hours.
Tony Li, a fifth-year computer engineering student, hadn’t attributed his illness this morning to the food from the Feast. Then he started hearing about other students who were also ill.
“I’m an engineer — I like to get the data [and] I like to be sure so I asked around,” said Li.
He posted in the Facebook event page and immediately began getting responses.
At the time of publication, 24 people had liked the post and nine people had commented describing similar symptoms experienced by either themselves or people they knew who had attended the dinner.
The illness hasn’t been limited to people who ate the meat portion of the dinner either — vegetarians have reported feeling sick too.
“We’ve had some reports of mild upset stomachs and diarrhoea by people who attended the Harvest Feast,” said an emailed statement from Michael White, Associate Vice-President of Campus and Community Planning — the department who organized the Harvest Feast.
“We have alerted people who attended the event as we want people to be aware in case they are not feeling well after…. We are looking into this matter and will provide updates to attendees as we learn more.”
Overall, Li said, the night was fun. “People left happy. I left happy. It was just this morning was not a good time at all.”