Wednesday, March 22, 2017
Last updated: 1 year ago

Women of UBC: the Ubyssey women’s supplement

UBC students gathered in March to celebrate women’s rights and gender equality with an interactive engagement fair in the SUB. Photo Carter Brundage / The Ubyssey.

Around 55 per cent of all students and 34 per cent of all faculty at UBC are women. From the growth of the UBC Needs to Feminism Facebook group to rallies against rape culture to events celebrating the feminist cause, 2013-2014 has been a busy year for discussing and dissecting gender and sexuality on campus.
In this year’s women’s supplement, we explore what it’s like to raise children while attending class, hear a personal reflection on the importance of intersectionality within gendered discourses and more.

This is by no means exhaustive of the breadth of debate and discourse or the variety of aims and accomplishments occurring on campus, but merely one of many attempts at giving a platform to unique voices and broaching particularly difficult topics.

- Margareta Dovgal, Guest Editor

Why celebrating women is important: Some people, however, have questioned the need to celebrate women on a campus where there is in fact a higher percentage of female students than male. My response is: that’s exactly the problem.

Why ‘intersectionality’ is essential to women’s rights: [My mother] repeatedly asks when I’m getting married. … One day, tired of the whole routine, I asked, “Would you still ask me that if I was your son?” Her hesitation in response told me all I needed to know.

The ‘love professor’ talks single motherhood: In addition to being a sessional lecturer of economics at UBC, Marina Adshade is also a single mother of two. How has she juggled a career in academia with raising a son and daughter?

Inside the world of UBC’s student-parents: For many undergraduate students, the question of how you would raise a child while attending classes may not have even occurred. But while it may look as though it rarely happens, the reality is that at a university as large as UBC it is inevitable.

Why I organized ‘I Am a Feminist’ Day: I got the idea for the I Am a Feminist campaign back in December, following various conversations about my new identity as a feminist with my friends.

• Concentrate

“Around 55 per cent of all students are women”

The glass ceiling is bulging.

• Margareta Daisy Dovgal

Once it’s more than 30% of all faculty being female, then we can really see the glass ceiling bulging. Until then, it’s most certainly still there. We give our young girls room to achieve, but once they get older and start having kids, they become excluded from the workplace and their careers suffer. If a man can choose to have a child and not have his career suffer, a woman should be able to do the same.

• Margareta Daisy Dovgal

I really have no idea what you’re responding to there. What gave you the impression that 1) I want to oppress men, 2) I support biased admissions, 3) I think women are superior, or that 4) I think men are evil? It’s a bit unfair to impose these judgements, especially when I said that women should be able to do the same as men, which is having children AND a career. Where is the aggressive man-hating feminism that you so desperately want to attach to me?

If you don’t think it’s reflective of some sort of a problematic breakdown in academic opportunities from undergraduate level to professional academia that only 34% of all faculty at a world class institution are women, and a further scant 20% of tenured faculty are women, then I’m having difficulty understanding why you’re even responding.

• Zerokin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Olympic_records_in_weightlifting

Take a look at that and look at how men out-perform women in every weight class. Is this evidence of some sort of sexism, some sort of “problematic breakdown” in weight-training opportunities, or is it reflective of the fact that these things called “men”, at the top end of achievement, are always stronger, pound for pound, than “women” at the top end of achievement?

I don’t see the evidence for your position that the statistics necessitate the inference that we have “a problematic breakdown in academic opportunities.” The Academy may simply be more like The Gym than some are willing to admit. For some of us this may be because we have not thought about it. For others, it may be because such a conclusion conflicts with politics programmed into the body during compulsory K-12 schooling. Does that table of weight-lifting records reflect some sort of sexism? It seems to me that it must, if your dogma is correct: the under-performance of women as weight-lifters, compared with men of equal weight, is due to inherent sexism, discrimination, the patriarchy, etc. etc. It has nothing to do with the biological differences between “men” and “women.” That would be sexist to suggest, right?