Wednesday, November 22, 2017
Last updated: 2 years ago

Which wine defines your faculty?

Photo courtesy J and R Photography/Flickr

Some wines pair best with meat, some with fish — and some with microbiology. Our monthly wine column has deconstructed the varieties of wine that define UBC’s biggest faculties, from diverse Arts to temperamental Science. Read on to find out which wine you should swig to match your studies.

Arts: 2008 Leyda Chardonnay ($12.99)

Chardonnay is a neutral yet versatile grape made in many styles, from the classic and delicate oyster pairing of Chablis in Northern France to the heavily-oaked and buttery cowboy versions in hotter Californian climates.

From political science to human geography (and other obscure majors you didn’t know existed), Faculty of Arts students are just as amazingly diverse as Chardonnay. This wine in particular has an awesome amount of complexity for a great price.

Nota bene: unoaked Chardonnay is, like, so mainstream right now, but we won’t judge you if you drink it; we know you’re just making an ironic statement.

Sauder: 2011 Selbach Riesling ($19.99)

Like Chardonnay, Riesling can be a bit of a shapeshifter, but it’s generally known for its firm acidity (toothy smile), food-pairing versatility (business degree), and bright, focused flavours (personal brand).

Don’t let those German Riesling wine labels intimidate you as much as Sauder business suits; many Rieslings are known for their sweetness. Then again, many Rieslings are also known to develop a polarizing gasoline character with age.

Wines like this 2011 Selbach Riesling are great for new wine-drinkers and beginner schmoozers alike.

Engineering: 2008 Punch in the Face Shiraz ($23.99)

Engineering students have it tough — and after they’re finished their grueling degree, they usually have the high salaries to show for it.

These students have a thing or two in common with some thick-skinned, tannic and masculine red wine grapes like Cabernet Sauvignon: often too harsh to drink when young, but amazing over time. At their very best, they sell for thousands of dollars. Why wait? Try this fruity Australian Shiraz with a high wine alcohol content to boot, at 16.5 per cent.

Engineers studying fluids with Bernoulli’s principle should instead study the flow of Shiraz into their mouths: now there’s an exam they’ll pass with flying colours.

Science: Roncier Rouge ($19.99)

Southern France finds itself muddled with experimental blends and modern winemaking techniques. Roncier Rouge, for example, is an unorthodox and multi-vintage blend of mostly Pinot Noir and Syrah.

Pinot Noir requires specific climates and growing conditions; relatively few grape-growing areas in the world are able to boast their success.

This picky grape is not unlike that chemistry lab instructor who docks marks for not including enough significant figures on a student’s percentage yield of copper — which, for some reason, happened to be over 100 per cent anyways.