Monday, December 18, 2017
Last updated: 2 years ago

UBC spring fashion arrives in style

The sun has finally returned, which means students are flaunting their UBC spring fashion. We interviewed some of the campus' coolest couture connoisseurs. Photo Reyhana Heatherington / The Ubyssey

The sun has finally returned, which means students are flaunting their UBC spring fashion. We interviewed some of the campus’ coolest couture connoisseurs. Photo Reyhana Heatherington / The Ubyssey

You never know what you’re going to get with Vancouver weather, and students know this all too well. This is why the idea of UBC spring fashion is a much broader concept than in many urban centres. Though Vancouver style is arguably too relaxed, some students still find smart ways to bring their own personalities into their wardrobe. Here, stylish dressing is not equated with formal attire, but rather, finding a way to mix and match function with fashion.

Phil Gym_20140327__Rehyana Heatherington

Phil Gym, fifth-year commerce student

Where do you get your fashion inspiration?
My inspiration is the weather…. I guess I go to Zara quite a bit and I follow the trends there, to be honest.

How would you describe your style?
Just simple. Pretty casual dressing in my opinion, nothing too complex or anything.

Jason Cutbill, fifth-year kinesiology and French major

Jason Cutville_20140331__Rehyana Heatherington

How would you describe your style?
Colourful, fairly simple, different every day…. I like Zara, I like Urban Outfitters.

Emily Chang_20140317__Rehyana Heatherington

Emily Chang, first-year Commerce student

Where do you get your style inspiration?
I really like Lorde and Lana Del Rey. But today I’m not really wearing Lorde or Lana Del Rey!

Where do you like to shop?
You can get some really nice stuff at Nasty Gal, just the import tax is not really nice…. My jacket’s from Asia, the skirt is online, and the boots are from eBay.

Kevonnie, first-year Arts student

Kevonnie_20140402__Rehyana Heatherington

How would you describe your style?
People always call it vintage retro.

I’m very conservative in dressing. I like neutral colours — you know, black, white, beiges, stuff like that. Very classy, very retro.

Where do you like to shop?
Most of my clothes aren’t from here. I shop mostly in Miami or back home in Jamaica. Stuff I see here, I can’t afford it…. I buy the stuff when it’s on sale.

Eriko Ba_20111201__Rehyana Heatherington

Eriko Ba, third-year economics student

Where do you get your clothes?
Japan. All the Japanese brands.

Kana. She is a Japanese singer.

Meghan Mast, second-year journalism graduate student

I’m trying to dress more professionally because I’m starting to enter the workforce so I’m starting now to slowly, gradually introduce it into my wardrobe — like jackets and blazers.

Meghan Mast_20140331__Rehyana Heatherington

How would you describe your style?
Today it looks very Gap I think. More office casual.

Where in Vancouver do you like to get your clothes from?
Usually thrift stores or my aunt’s closet — that’s where I got this blazer. We’re about the same size so she usually gives me cool vintage stuff.

Jacob Sussman, fifth-year psychology student

How would you describe your style?
I guess like Stella from Project Runway because she really likes her leather.

Jacob Sussman_20140327__Rehyana Heatherington

Where do you like to shop?
I buy clothes in Calgary so I can avoid paying the HST/PST and when I’m in Vancouver I like to shop at Community Thrift and Vintage, Salvation Army and [on] the Internet.

Andrew Cier, third-year art history student

How would you describe your fashion sense?
Modest, I suppose. I love button-ups, that’s my favourite. Beyond that I don’t really follow much trends other than what’s subconscious.

What would be subconscious?
Advertising, I suppose. H&M has had an effect on me, I know that, so that’s where I tend to drift.

Andrew Cier_20140411__Rehyana Heatherington

Where do you get fashion inspiration?
Usually from friends. If I see something I like, I’ll buy something similar — not exactly like that, because I don’t want to be matching. Also living on the east side it’s easy to see [trends] because it’s a little bit more freeing there, in a way. You get to see cool trends. Whether they’re too extreme or not, you can decide, mix and match.