Sunday, August 20, 2017
Last updated: 2 years ago

Six lessons we learned at the 2014 AMS Block Party

Senior Lifestyle writer Reyhana Heatherington signs off on a year of quality reporting with some life lessons she picked up during the AMS Block Party. Photo Carter Brundage / The Ubyssey

A small white sheep flies through the air, its legs frozen. A boisterous girl perches on her friend’s shoulders, high above the crowd (maybe in more ways than one), brandishing a small potted plant. Fortunately, the sheep was fake.

It could only be AMS Block Party at UBC.

After a last-minute switch back from Matthews to MacInnes Field, the seventh annual Block Party took place this past Tuesday. Though the forecast called for rain, the brilliant sun shone down on the throngs of students rejoicing in the symbolic start of summer. If the haphazardly applied neon face paint and clichéd festival garb weren’t enough evidence that classes were finished, the impromptu beach ball soccer brought a real August-y flavour to the day. As much as formal classes were over, however, it was truly a day of lessons for this Ubyssey writer.

Lesson #1: Part your hair on the right to show you are marriage material.

Photo Steven Richards / The Ubyssey

Photo Steven Richards / The Ubyssey

This advice came from the winner of the AMS Last Band Standing competition. Rebel on a Mountain opened the event with their indie-rock set. Lead vocalist Kristian Wagner maintains that the way you part your hair contributes to the quality of relationship you are capable of maintaining. For the record, right-side parts are equated with long-term partner material. So keep that in mind as you search for a mate.

Lesson #2: Jocks don’t respond well to mockery.

Photo Steven Richards / The Ubyssey

Photo Steven Richards / The Ubyssey

This lesson was courtesy of The Crackling frontman Kenton Loewan. In an effort to entice the not-yet-drunk-and-wild crowd closer to the stage, Loewan imitated a jock who stood near the back of the field with his arms crossed. Though it was an admirable attempt at crowd engagement, the dude stood his ground.

Lesson #3: Not only can Shad make a crowd rock, he can ball.

Photo Steven Richards / The Ubyssey

Photo Steven Richards / The Ubyssey

One of the few things I share with hip-hop great Shad (apart from our Juno nominations, natch) is that we played basketball in high school. Yes, I managed to get a few baskets off him during our one-on-one showdown in the REC Centre, but man, can he sink threes.

Lesson #4: Inflatable advertising is always funny.

This is not the blow-up that Mangan and Co. attempted to hold up, but rather one held up in the crowd. Photo Steven Richards / The Ubyssey

UBC alum Dan Mangan and his friends did their best to hold up the giant blow-up Molson beer bottle backstage as it slowly deflated.

Lesson #5: Stage crew work harder than anyone and see weird sides of performers.

Adventure Club riled up the crowd as the final act at Block Party. Photo Carter Brundage / The Ubyssey

The coolest dudes were the stage crew hired to take down the stage as soon as Adventure Club stepped away from the turntables. It would take them somewhere between four to six hours to disassemble the stage. But when your job includes talking to Billy Joel about his motorbike collection, it can’t be all bad.

Lesson #6: Avoid staring at drink cup carnage.

On my way out, the satisfying crack of crushed drink cups beneath my boots served as a reminder of the brain cells lost to alcohol that fateful night. So if you wish to remain blissfully unaware of the amount of alcohol you consumed, when the last note echoes over the field, run, and don’t look back.

Correction: An earlier version of the opening of this article stated that the potted plant held by an attendee was fake. In fact, the plant was real. The Ubyssey regrets this error.

• Milhouse

pot guy here – the “potted pot” you mentioned in the correction was, indeed, fake.