Wednesday, November 22, 2017
Last updated: 2 years ago

Four wines to pair with the season premiere of Game of Thrones

Illustration Kim Pringle/The Ubyssey

Illustration Kim Pringle/The Ubyssey

Whether you’re conquering lands, taming dragons or eagerly awaiting the Game of Thrones season premiere, there ought to be some sort of wine for the journey.

These four wines speak with character, whether it’s from historical background, grape composition or unique production. Powerful wines are the common thread.

When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. But when you play the game of wines, you’ll definitely win with these four. Just don’t get drunk with power.

2006 Chateau Loupiac-Gaudiet ($21.99)

It’s no surprise that such sweet and coveted liquid gold, gleaming like Lannister locks, stems from the home of some of the most expensive dessert wines in the world.

Much like the golden-haired family, these grapes may become affected with “noble rot,” which concentrates the sugars in the grapes and contributes unique aromas. The Lannisters may be as complex as some of these wines, but definitely not as sweet.

The royal reputation of these wines means that they can be pricey. Keep your eyes and spies on the lookout for Tyrion-sized bottles.

2010 Domaine de la Bastide Côtes du Rhône ($17.99)

Grenache, Syrah and Carignan are grapes that sound almost as vicious as the three Targaryen dragons.

Although these grapes lack wings and fire-breathing power, they make it up by working together well. The fleshy and fruity power of Grenache balances well with the smoke and black pepper expressions of Syrah, while the temperamental Carignan adds roughness, acidity and colour.

As a whole, this wine’s personality is similar to a certain silver-haired mother of dragons: a balanced level of softness and coarseness, with grapes that thrive in a warm and dry climate. Pair with raw horse hearts.

2010 Arresti Cabernet Sauvignon ($14.99)

Considering its long and noble history, Cabernet Sauvignon easily wins the red grape of thrones, commonly pushing its brother Merlot out of the spotlight.

Cabernet Sauvignon originally hails from the rainy Bordeaux region of France, but being grown in the “New World” (meaning non-Europe) gives the rough grape a softer and riper edge. Think of a specific headstrong Baratheon and red-adorned priestess: the grape is stone-faced yet elegant, and religiously divergent.

The night is dark and full of terrors, so pair this wine with deceit, excessive nudity and weird shadow monsters that crawl from places that weird shadow monsters shouldn’t be crawling from.

2007 Graham Beck The Game Reserve Shiraz ($15.99)

Though aptly named, don’t let the name fool you: this South African wine is deceivingly less fruity than its Australian cousin.

Instead, expect warming aromas of dark fruit, gaminess, musk and a campfire-like smoke that’s sure to scare off any White Walkers. This wine’s fuller body pairs well with the heavier dishes of the north, like venison pie and mutton. Also pair with three-eyed crows and rolling heads.

The spicy, smoky character of this wine calls for cold Stark weather, but why wait until next season? After all, winter is coming.